Friday, January 6, 2012

Faithful Friday: Five Minute Joy

Joy is a choice.  For me, joy comes from my faith.  It's something stronger than myself that carries me through.  It is how I can find sunshine even in the rain.  Choosing joy is what helps me face each day and what gives me hope.

This blog is about the joy I find in every day but I don't know that any of it would be possible without God.  Knowing this has led me to a new feature I'll be doing each week - Faithful Friday.  In it, I'll share a quick five minute devotion.  A scripture, an inspiration, a story...and hopefully something that can uplift and bring you joy. 

If there's one scripture that says it all. 
One sentence.  Everything.  It would be,
"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me." -Philippians 4:13

This single line has been a source of inspiration and strength for me for as long as I can remember.  When we were in a motorcycle wreck in 2005, this was the phrase I found myself whispering over and over.  I said it in the ambulance, as Tim and I were strapped in, scared and hurting.  I prayed it as I awoke in ICU.  I willed it on the day I took my first steps, all those weeks later.  I envisioned it during therapy.  I chanted it as I made it from hospital bed, to wheelchair, to walker, to crutches, to healed.  I lived it.

Does this verse mean we're invincible?  Super-human? 
That whatever we try to do we'll succeed?  No. 
It means that we don't have to face anything in this life alone. 
It means that when we are at our bottom and feel there is no hope,
no way out or up, He is there. 
It also means when we are well and life is good
that we shouldn't forget to still lean on him. 
And it means that even when we fail, he's there to pick us back up
and there as we try again.

Whatever you're facing today, I hope this scripture brings you peace.  Meditate on the words.  Let them seep into your heart.  There's a whole lot of power in that single sentence.

For five minutes today,
give it to God. 
Whatever is worrying you,
whatever stresses life may bring.
Release it and let him strengthen you. 
Face this Friday in the moment. 

Enjoy the sunshine. 
Soak up the blue sky. 
Breath in the fresh air. 
Just be.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
 photo design by_zpsv1mvteci.png