Friday, June 29, 2012

Faithful Friday: With God

Tim and I have started a new Bible study at our church called "Experiencing God."  We're a little behind the rest of our group, given the ER events the past two weekends have brought us.  But, as the book and our pastor have stated, "it's not a race and should be taken one day at a time."

The study includes a workbook that has you focus on a few scriptures and one idea each day.  Each week a Bible verse is given to memorize.  Ours, and I'm writing from memory, is:

"I am the vine, are the branches.  If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit.  For apart from me, you can nothing." - John 15:5


I've felt like I was back in VBS memorizing the scripture and testing each other.  How sad that as adults we tend to fade in our effort to truly learn and know the Bible.  Each Wednesday that I'm in missions, the children amaze me at their knowledge.  They inspire me to have that passion again to not only seek His word but to know it fully in my heart.

We're only on Day 4 of the book but I've already been amazed at the way God is speaking to us.  Each day something from the scripture or study will be brought to life.  I find myself awestruck with each revelation. 

One of our studies included allowing God's will to work in your life and to truly open yourself for His work to be done through you.  There have already been some goosebump, or "Wow, God!" moments I've experienced. 

Last night, we were honored to be a part of a local non-profit's annual fundraiser.  Together We Care (TWC) is an organization I've been a part of, in small ways, for many years.  We've recently became more involved, as our niece Tina has become active with them.  She's been to several teen leadership conferences and events with them the past year and was a server last night for their dinner/auction.  A tradition for TWC, they honored two special people with community awards.  One of the ladies, though surprised, took the mic and shared, "I believe God gives us all talents and it's up to us to put them to work.  If I see a brother or sister in need, I just have to help."  And I don't know why but it was just another "Wow, God!" moment because it was exactly what we'd read the night before.

We arrived home late, and I didn't feel we'd give the study the true time and devotion it requires, so we pulled our short devotion book off the nightstand.  Though it is dated, we've fallen behind on using it now that we've started the workbook.  We decided last night to just read the next day, instead of skipping to the correct date.  Can you guess the passage it led us to?

It was "the rest of the story" as Paul Harvey was known to say....

6 If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned. 7 If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. 8 By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples. 9 As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Abide in my love. 10 If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in his love. 11 These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full. - John 15:6-11

And as we sat in our bed, covered in goosebumps, we certainly felt God speaking to us.  My hope is that He will speak to you today too. 

May you have a blessed and Joyful Faithful Friday!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
 photo design by_zpsv1mvteci.png