Friday, November 30, 2012

Faithful Friday: Kindness

My heart says it was just yesterday....my head knows it has been 4 years.

The only part of yesterday I looked forward to was knowing the many acts of kindness done in Austin's memory.  I'm grateful to friends and family who won't let Austin be forgotten and choose to remember him in this way. We're blessed from the many prayers said for us yesterday- the many days prior - and those in the future.  Thank you!  For an otherwise terrible date on the calendar, we felt Austin everywhere and the day was filled with kindness.  God was certainly holding our family and His love was spread throughout.


The Lord says: Don’t brag about your wisdom or strength or wealth.
If you feel you must brag, then have enough sense to brag
about worshiping me, the Lord.
What I like best is showing kindness, justice, and mercy to everyone on earth.
Jeremiah 9:23-24


A collection of kindness done this month in Austin's memory and shared with us...

In honor & memory of Austin I called a friend this morn offered to
keep her sick child so she could go to work & not miss a day.

Our school club, friends of Rachel, is planning on helping a family on Christmas.

Our next RAK is collecting mismatched socks and gloves for a shelter.
My goal 300 socks and gloves! I know it will be a success,
you will be watching over us Austin!!

...we've taken meals to sick friends, sent random texts to encourage someone, stopped to help a stranded motorist, delivered thanksgiving meals to those working or without, prayed for the vehicle in front of me while driving, surprised workers with donuts...

Preparing and delivering a meal to a friend,
 whose family is in another state and has no family to spend the holiday with.
Giving toys for the EHBC community Kid's Christmas party.

At work we are going to adopt a family from Christmas Wish instead of doing our usual gift exchange.
Operation Christmas Child Boxes filled and delivered to church.

Helped prepare a meal for a group of hardworking kids.
Helped fill Thanksgiving food boxes for families in our community.
Salvation Army Bell Ringing Days picked.
Thoughts of you were with me all day!!

My random act of kindness is taking a sweet baby boy to see his grandma at work today. The smile on her face when seeing him melted my heart I am so glad that I was able to do that for her today :)

My friend Katie was at the mall and found $10 bill and turned it in instead of pocketing it like most would have done. Then here is the big story, as we were headed to Louisville to go to her house, we passed a car on fire, we automatically turned around and called 911. A man was in a ditch, his car was on fire. We saved this man's life by calling 911, along with another couple we met, who ran down the hill to the man who had somehow managed to get out of his car.
My friend Rachel was at work & she saw a man who had run out of gas, he was outside in the freezing cold so she gave him gas money. She said he thanked her numerous times and it brought tears to her eyes.

Little children, let us not love in word or talk but in deed and in truth.
1 John 3:18

The last two days have truly been "all things Austin". The blessing yesterday from a stranger. Today, a phone call asking if I needed "some" food for families. The answer was "YES"!! It was the end of the day and I didn't know how I would get this done. I called my "RAK" partner in kindness and she went picked up "some" food. She brought "some" food back to school. Stuart and I went to help my friend and her daughter fill the boxes only to find "some" food was enough fresh fruit and veggies to feed "17" families. We have 8 of of the boxes delivered and tomorrow I will take the rest. I can't even explain the excitement on the faces of my kiddos. The sweetest moment was when two of my kiddos asked if they could help me take them for their neighbors!! They knew the need. I said, "How do you know where they go". One replied "We know because we know you and it's where you would take it." It was "all things Austin!"   I bought groceries for a friend

Austin, I try to do RAK everyday..not just this month. It doesn't have to be something big..a smile can make a difference to a person! Because of you, I try harder and harder to live my life by the Golden Rule!!

I know this isn't much. But at Hobby Lobby today I paid for the lady's next in line purchases and told her the story of how Austin was so giving and generous and how I was helping her in honor of him. After a few tears and a hug she departed and the clerk checking me out said "God Bless You, I don't know your situation or your friend but I think he would be proud, I know God is." Such a great feeling.
Thank you Austin for your inspiration and warm heart. I miss you!

In all things I have shown you that by working hard in this way we must help the weak and remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he himself said,
‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’” Acts 20:35
Thank you.  Thank you.  Thank you. 
It truly hugs our hearts to see Austin remembered this way!

We ended last night with our annual tradition of letting the kids do a reverse shopping spree, surprise free drinks, and included free laundry at local laundromats.

    



Austin, you are still missed with every breath, but we feel you so close whenever we're helping others. 

 





0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
 photo design by_zpsv1mvteci.png