Friday, January 25, 2013

Faithful Friday: Bossy Pants

Tim and I shared a sweet connection the other night.  Finished with our devotion, we were facing each other in the bed, with the soft glow of the lamp cast around us.  I asked him why he first fell in love with me and was surprised with his answer.

"Your personality," he said without a pause.

Really? I thought and exclaimed.  For whatever reason, this just shocked me. 

Maybe it is just because God's really been working on me.  Since selecting my One Word for 2013, he continually speaks to me on submitting.  To him.  To my husband.  And I know that I haven't always done this.  Especially with Tim.

It seems backwards but sometimes our family gets the worst of us.  I'm comfortable with Tim and I'm 100% me - all my faults laid out on the table.  I'm stubborn, opinionated, and bossy.  Yet, he loves me anyway.  Not just in spite of but maybe even because of my weaknesses?  Or perhaps love is blind.

Whatever the case, I know I'm blessed.  And I know without a shadow of a doubt that Tim is exactly who God meant for me - and I for him.  He paired us together in his perfect plan.  We balance each other, which is perhaps why our relationship has not just survived but thrived through the years.

After our Lifegroup tonight, I thought more on my sometimes bossy and persistent nature and when I've been the opposite.  Being married so long with Tim, I know where to push and where to let go and let God. 

Though we've always followed Him in our marriage, Tim and I weren't always in the same place in our walk with God.  At times, I longed for Tim to take the lead as the Christian role model in our home.  I saw the greatness that God had gifted in him long before he did - even now Tim doubts at times his potential and part.  I know God still has great plans for him though, but I've learned that I can't push this along on my timeline.  God will work on and use Tim in His timing.

But it's amazing to look back and see God's handiwork from our prayers. For years, I prayed that He would speak to Tim concerning Sunday school.  Tim just never found his place there.  Out of his comfort zone, he just didn't see the point.  Though I wanted him to be a part of it, forcing it wasn't the answer.  So I simply prayed. 

In God's timing, now in our new church home, I'm seeing a change in Tim.  He not only attends Sunday school now with me, he enjoys it and participates.  We are growing together, drawing closer to Him, and each day is even better and new.  And I'm praising God for answering this plea.

God has a beautiful plan for all of us, yet he calls us to pray for our spouse and lift them up.  Maybe some of these scriptures below will help you in praying for your husband. 

1. Romans 10:9-13 – Pray that he will confess with his mouth and believe in his heart that Jesus is Lord so that he will be saved. His salvation is God’s will for his life!

2. Ephesians 5:25 – Pray that he will love you as Christ loves the church and that he will sacrifice for you and your family just as Christ did.

3. Colossians 3:23 – Pray that in his work he will be devoted to working as unto the Lord and not to simply please man. Pray that by him doing so, he will be a light for Christ in his workplace.

4. Philemon 1:6 – Pray that he will have boldness in sharing his faith with others, bringing many to faith in Christ.

5. Acts 16:31 – Pray that his faith in Christ will pave the way for the salvation of his entire family. God is able to soften the hardest of hearts!

6. Romans 12:2 – Pray that he will reject the ways of this world and cling to Jesus Christ so that his mind will be renewed by truth and he will be able to know and understand God’s will for himself and your family.

7. 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 – Pray that his love would be patient and kind, and that as he loves like Jesus loves, healthy relationships in all areas of his life would be the result.

8. Galatians 5:16 – Pray that he will daily walk in the Spirit and by the fruit of the Spirit so that he does not fall prey to sin and its temptations.

9. Ephesians 5:1-2 – Pray that he becomes increasingly more like Jesus Christ, imitating Him in all that he does so that his life will leave a lasting impact on others.

10. Philippians 2:3-5 – Pray that in all things, his attitude would reflect Christ’s and that he would live a life of humility, never seeking personal gain at the expense of others.

*Scripture Source: www.neuething.org



5 comments:

Unknown said...

This is beautiful. I am struggling because my hubs and I are in very different places spiritually and I appreciate having those verses to pray on.

joyfulchallenge said...

Prayers for you friend. I know is a struggle when answers to prayers don't come on our timeline. Keep on praying on! :)

Becky Andrews said...

Thank you for these beautiful references.

joyfulchallenge said...

Thank you for stopping by! Blessings to you!

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Heather. I see why Andrew likes you so much, you are a caring person and I love you for that. I'm speechless, on you taking time to think of me. Your are such a special person and I'm glad to call you friend.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
 photo design by_zpsv1mvteci.png